My Etsy Shop

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Maureen Carlson Clay Characters

How to Make Clay Characters

Sorry about the long pause between blog's, I am a bit disheartened with the internet at the moment, my speed is not what it's supposed to be!!!

Well last week a did a little bit of online retail therapy, for a little while now I've been scouring the net to find sites about creating more realistic characters from my clay...

I bought three books in a bundle from http://www.amazon.co.uk/  two were by Maureen Carlson and one by Katherin Dewy.  I am enthralled by their work and would love to be anywhere even half way near to the talent of these artists.... but one can dream!!!

My first attempt is from the book by Maureen Carlson on How to Make Clay Characters, I tried Maureen's character Suzette, (I called my little one Tammy).  I am still trying to get to grips with the hands.... they are quite tricky, practice makes perfect!  i deviated a little from the character in the book, as I only did one ribbon and added a large lollipop for Tammy to hold.

I love the details and the information about actually clothing your characters, which I have found quite hard in the past, I never really thought about designing them as "actual" clothing patterns before, but Maureen's background is in sewing so naturally she thought as a seamstress.  Which makes sense really....  this is definately a must have for peeps looking to improve their sculpting skills.

When I get time I'll review the other books!!!

Here's my attempt at Maureen's character.



I've been so enthralled with the book, I've hardly looked at the other two, I will though!!


Oh and there's a new addition to the family.... meet Princess the goldfish........ she's happy in her new home!

No comments:

Post a Comment